Monday, March 19, 2007

Next step, or running before I can walk?

Righty, having bitten the bullet and abused my poor Mastercard to the tune of a new laptop I am finally in a position to start typing my reams of handwritten material into some semblance of order.

But, I'm in two minds about how to proceed: should I submit a couple of chapters and a synopsis to a publisher/agent whilst I'm still in the process of writing? Or am I better off waiting until I've finished the majority of the writing so that I have a more complete product to offer?

How did other writers approach this issue?

1 comment:

Zinnia Cyclamen said...

I'm definitely not sending anything to any agents until I've got a completed third draft at least. I know everyone is different, but for me (a) I can't polish a partial without doing the whole thing, and (b) my understanding is if I send in a partial and they like it, they'll only ask for the rest anyway before they make a commitment. But that's just my plan; one of my RLFs is currently sending out a synopsis and three chapters because he feels that positive feedback from an agent will motivate him to complete his novel.