
It's okay, though ~ they're the good kind.
We recently purchased a wormery. I’d wanted one for ages, in much the same way that Carrie Bradshaw wanted Blahniks. Eco-consciousness is the new consumerism, perhaps?
I like to think I’m fairly ‘green’, although I think we probably all like to think that, just as we all like to think we’re good drivers. Or good lovers. But I do try: we recycle with a fervour (husband is almost evangelical about this ~ I contest that he negates the beneficial impact of recycling every single solitary recyclable item by leaving all the lights on when he goes out. At least they’re the energy efficient lightbulbs, though).
We washed at 30 degrees long before the adverts started urging us too, I only use the car once or twice a week, and then only if necessary, we buy organic locally produced veg and we don’t really keep up with technological advances, so we’re not junking a lot of electricals on an annual basis (thought this just as much to do with cash as conscience).
But back to the wormery: I love the idea of popping our food leftovers in there, rather than them going into the bin (and from there a landfill site). And the resultant ‘worm wee’ that you drain from the sump at the bottom is apparently magical in its effect on the garden. Which can only be a good thing, as lusher leafier plants must surely process more carbon dioxide.
I think I fancy myself as a bit of a Barbara Good (although I’m notably less pert of derrierre and disposition) and given the time and space to make it feasibly I’d love a veggie garden and some chickens. No such room in the garden or the timetable, unfortunately, so the wormies are the only livestock I’ll be cultivating in the foreseeable future.
I’m sure this wormery is some sort of metatphor: there’s cycles of nature and nutrients, putting something back in order to sustain our future, and so on, but I haven’t quite pinned it down, yet.
Yet despite a brace of gourmet meals (manky brown lettuce from the bottom of the fridge with a couple of tea bags for dessert on Saturday, some old baguette, more tea bags and some tops and tails of aubergines and broccoli stems yesterday ~ makes your mouth fair water, doesn’t it?) they don’t seem to be very wriggly or proactive. I fear the wormery may be a short-lived venture….. If anyone out there has any tips on perking up your wrigglies I’d muchly appreciate some advice.
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
W.I.P still ticking along ~ must get round to doing some typing up, word-counting and meter-updating.
I like to think I’m fairly ‘green’, although I think we probably all like to think that, just as we all like to think we’re good drivers. Or good lovers. But I do try: we recycle with a fervour (husband is almost evangelical about this ~ I contest that he negates the beneficial impact of recycling every single solitary recyclable item by leaving all the lights on when he goes out. At least they’re the energy efficient lightbulbs, though).
We washed at 30 degrees long before the adverts started urging us too, I only use the car once or twice a week, and then only if necessary, we buy organic locally produced veg and we don’t really keep up with technological advances, so we’re not junking a lot of electricals on an annual basis (thought this just as much to do with cash as conscience).
But back to the wormery: I love the idea of popping our food leftovers in there, rather than them going into the bin (and from there a landfill site). And the resultant ‘worm wee’ that you drain from the sump at the bottom is apparently magical in its effect on the garden. Which can only be a good thing, as lusher leafier plants must surely process more carbon dioxide.
I think I fancy myself as a bit of a Barbara Good (although I’m notably less pert of derrierre and disposition) and given the time and space to make it feasibly I’d love a veggie garden and some chickens. No such room in the garden or the timetable, unfortunately, so the wormies are the only livestock I’ll be cultivating in the foreseeable future.
I’m sure this wormery is some sort of metatphor: there’s cycles of nature and nutrients, putting something back in order to sustain our future, and so on, but I haven’t quite pinned it down, yet.
Yet despite a brace of gourmet meals (manky brown lettuce from the bottom of the fridge with a couple of tea bags for dessert on Saturday, some old baguette, more tea bags and some tops and tails of aubergines and broccoli stems yesterday ~ makes your mouth fair water, doesn’t it?) they don’t seem to be very wriggly or proactive. I fear the wormery may be a short-lived venture….. If anyone out there has any tips on perking up your wrigglies I’d muchly appreciate some advice.
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
W.I.P still ticking along ~ must get round to doing some typing up, word-counting and meter-updating.
6 comments:
Eco-consciousness is definitely the new consumerism. We spend loads on kit for Top Bloke's organic veg garden. Haven't got a wormery, though, so can't help you there. Surely there's a relevant website? Hope they get wrigglier soon.
Not sure I could cope and dh might pinch them for fishing :-) Well done for trying though....hope they perk up!
Worm bins take some time to get going. After a few months or so your worms should have bred and will be able to cope with the food better. It's certainly not instant devouring. Some of the hardier bits of food seem to hang about for weeks.
Oh, I love those wiggly worms! I think recyling left over lettuce etc., as food for worms to make compost (is that how it works?) is very satisfying.
I have a tiny garden but try to grow veggies in pots. Worth it for the taste even if you have to spit out a few earwigs.
yes - compost makes the garden very happy happy happy. such lovable worms you have!
oh my - I really have worm issues. They're mini snakes and a bit terrifying! I am soooo pathetic!
:(
x
Post a Comment