Tuesday, August 07, 2007

Sickness and health

It’s been a case of “spirit willing, flesh weak” of late.

I’ve been raring to go with the novel, but totally exhausted ~ there’s been some sort of thing going round and making everyone generally a bit floppy over this last week or so, and its pole-axed me. Saturday I felt dreadful, ~ achey, fragile, clammy. I attempted a 25 minute run: I reasoned it was kill or cure. Kill, was the resounding response from my poorly bod……

And then yesterday I awoke to discover that somehow I had acquired a very painful sleep-induced back injury. A trapped nerve, was the general consensus, based on my whiny and woeful description, just under my right shoulder blade. It hurt A LOT. (It’s still quite sore now too.) So I ended up taking the day off work yesterday and lying prone on the sofa with a tennis ball under the hurty bit (long story, but it worked sort of) and effign like a navvy every time I needed to do anything pain inducing like breathing or turning the pages of my book. At one point I sneezed ad felt like I’d been knifed in the back. Owwwwwwwwwwww. How on earth did I inflict this on myself in my sleep? ****

A further affliction includes the billions (five) insect bites I acquired in my sleep the same night as the back injury ~ you try scratching your foot when you can’t move from the neck down!


Having said that, last week wasn’t a total write–off in terms of productivity ~ I achieved a personal best on a 7 mile run on Wednesday, polished up my opening pages to the novel (jut trying to pluck up the courage to post them for critique!) & did some longhand writing (hence lack of budge on the word-o-meter) and some plotty / planny stuff. So, some ups, some downs……

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~


**** Husband to me, last night whist I was incapacitated on sofa with bad back: “Misery is on later. You’re a bit like James Caan in that film. “
Me, excitedly: “Why? Because I’m a writer?”
“No, because you’re an invalid”.

He needs to work on his bedside manner……

4 comments:

Unknown said...

HOpe you feel better soon :-)

CL Taylor said...

I had that rundown achey thing - also accompanied by what felt like a trapped nerve in my back/shoulder. Maybe it's part of the illness?

Hope you feel better soon.

Zinnia Cyclamen said...

I had a trapped nerve after a night's sleep on a friend's futon the year before last. I was feeling a bit skint because it happened at Xmas, so I went down the NHS/physio route and it took a year to get better (only three months of actual treatment - but it was only partially effective). In retrospect, I should have paid up and gone to an osteopath - I had a trapped nerve in the early 1990s which an osteopath fixed in 4 sessions. So if it carries on hurting, take heed. And you have my sympathy because I know it hurts like hell. Hope you get well soon.

Kate.Kingsley said...

Aw, many thanks for the 'get well' wishes Liz, Cally & Zinnia ~ shoulder/back still a bit sore, but it seems a thousand times better than it was, thankfully. Fingers crossed it NEVER happens again, because bloody hell it was painful!