Monday, January 14, 2008

Sad news

Sadly impending baby #1 is no longer impending.

On Thursday I had a further scan, as I had more slight bleeding. Unfortunately there was no heartbeat.

I was advised that I would need to undergo a medical procedure to remove the foetus and associated tissue. However on Friday morning nature took care of things, and I miscarried. It was harrowing, but somehow better than an operation, and helped me to feel as if it was "finalised".

Physically, I am recovering. Emotionally, I don't think it's quite sunk in yet ~ I'm still flooded with pregnancy hormones, and I have to keep reminding myself that I am no longer pregnant.

My husband has been outstanding in his support and care of me. We are both extremely saddened, but hope to try again soon.

In telling people I've been astounded by the number of people who have been through the same thing, and I'm finding that rather comforting. The woman who hasn't miscarried on at least one occasion is few and far between, and the vast majority of those woman have gone on to have one or more healthy babies.

Thank you to everyone for their kind comments over the last few weeks. Hopefully there'll be more good news soon (but ONLY to be announced after the magical 12 week point.)

11 comments:

Helen said...

Oh God Kate I am so sorry. Hugs to you and your husband. Take care of yourself. xx

CL Taylor said...

Oh Kate I'm so sorry. While I don't have a story to share myself I do have a friend who miscarried late in 2006 and is now five months pregant. She's in her mid thirties too. As you say, this does happen a lot but that fact doesn't take anything away from your own grief and disappointment. Take care of yourself. Thinking of you xx

Jenny Beattie said...

Kate, I am so sorry to hear your news honey. Big hugs to you both and you're absolutely right to take heart from all the stories. More women do seem to have had miscarriages than not.

All the very best for next time.
Love JJx

Juliette M said...

So so sorry to hear your sad news Kate. Look after yourself and your husband, and make sure he does the same only vice versa. I can't say anything to help other than I'm thinking of you.

Lane Mathias said...

Oh Kate I'm so sorry. That's awful.
Please take care of yourself.
Wishing all the very best to you and your husband.
xx

Zinnia Cyclamen said...

Oh no, oh no... you poor things. It may take a while to process the associated emotions. If you would find it helpful to read about another woman's experience, Clare Sudbery over at Boob Pencil had a miscarriage last spring at a similar stage of her pregnancy, and wrote several blog posts about her reactions. Don't let people tell you it doesn't matter - yes, it happens to lots of people; yes, you can try again soon and there's every chance you'll have a healthy full-term baby; but if you find you need to do some grieving, don't stop yourself or let others stop you. Silver lining: at least you can have a glass of wine now!

CC Devine said...

That's terribly sad news for you. So sorry to hear that. Whilst you can take comfort in the fact that many other women have experienced this and subsequently had babies, you must allow yourself to mourn the loss of this baby. It doesn't help when your body is all over the place too. Will be thinking of you lots. CCx

Marcie Steele said...

I don't know you that well yet Kate but my thoughts are with you and yours. x

Unknown said...

Sending much love and hugs. Take time for you and your husband to grieve and always remember love.
x

Hera said...

I'm really really sorry.

Lucy Diamond said...

Oh no, I've only just seen this. So so sorry, Kate, that's really sad news.
Take care and have some virtual hugs ((())) Thinking about you
xxxx