Impending baby#1 has lead us to start clearing out a lot of the old rubbish from our spare bedroom (otherwise the baby will be sleeping in the garage).
In going through my many boxes of pointless old tat I was reminded just how pretentiously "New Age" I was in my younger years ~ embarrassingly so, in fact.
Over recent years I've become much less hippy dippy ~ maybe it's age, although I think my psychology degree went a long way towards instilling a hefty dose of scientific pragmatism into me.
But I haven't lost that side of myself completely. There's still a part of me that believes that if you take a leap of faith, with the best of intentions, then the universe will throw a safety net beneath you.
Yesterday we had quite a harried day ~ I've entered the headaches and mood swings part of pregnancy, which is bringing much joy to husband and myself. We have been very worried about money ~ how we will afford the essential renovations needed to the house prior to the birth, how we will afford the mortgage once I'm reduced to Statutory Maternity Pay, how we will afford childcare once I go back to work....... And after many tears, recriminations and frantic calculations, I decided that we just had to trust that things would be alright. There are lots of people a lot worse off than ourselves, and they manage. Something would turn up, though i couldn't envisage what that would be.
And, unbeliveably, it did. This morning. Access to a wee pot of money which will see us through the renovations and ease the financial strain of my reduced maternity income.
I have never been so relieved, or so grateful. I owe an enormous "thank you" to someone or something, somewhere. So lets call that someone or something the universe.
You can take the girl out of the New Age.....
Monday, January 07, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
6 comments:
I'm a big believer in Fate and things working out the way they're meant to. I'm pleased that this magic pot has appeared just when it is very much needed :)
Great news Kate and glad you've kept you've held onto a bit of 'hippy'.
Hope the headaches pass soon!
Hi Kate, A lot sure happened in the 6 weeks that I was away in Oz! Congrats on impending baby and glad your faith in the universe came to fruitation! Maybe the lucky three in a row will have to do with writing?????
I don't subscribe to the New Age attributions for serendipity. I'm old school. You needed money, you found a heretofore unknown source. You run low on food, check the garden for quail and manna. Things are taken care of.
With our youngest sixteen now I can tell you it's not the headaches and mood swings you will remember later in life. It will be the all night sessions the baby puts you through. Those you don't forget.
Congrats on all the good news.
I'm glad that you found access to unexpected funds. Always such a relief not to mention surprise when that happens. I remember worrying terribly when my #1 was on his way but things do tend to sort themselves out somehow.
Well that IS good news. And, as you doubtless know from your psychology degree, our brains are programmed for pattern recognition, which explains a lot of things when you think about it!
Post a Comment