Hi everyone,
Kate Harrison raised the issue of writing rituals in this weeks coffee break: I don't think I have any writing rituals or superstitions (other than keeping it all a closely guarded secret from everyone bar my fiance until i feel I'm at a strong enough point to start sharing). I write in longhand in notebooks with a fountain pen to start with, and then transfer it all onto my laptop, but I'm not sure if thats really a ritual or just the fact that I am a bit of a luddite.
WIP: I have made some progress, and also some not progress ~ the word count has ground to a near standstill as life is getting very very hectic (upcoming wedding ~ don't know if I mentioned it about a billion times or so, plus the usual "real life" stuff that clogs up the flow ~ I don't so much need a room of my own as a soundproof isolation chamber that locks from the inside. Maybe I can get one of those when I get the lottery win that will allow the day job to take a running jump....) so I am fairly behind on the novel, my A215 course and a short story I am working on too. I think i'll have the face facts that there will be very little headway made until after the honeymoon, but I only plan to marry once and so I'm gong to make sure that I really enjoy this.
So, little word count process, but the ideas are still bubbling ~ as this is the first novel I've tackled I don't quite know what i'm doing yet, and I came to realise that whilst the tension between my two main protagonists is central to my plot I don't quite know enough about my supporting cast of characters to provide a fully authentic "colouring in" of the rest. So any spare novel time this weekend will be spent "interviewing" my peripheral characters in order to beef them up a bit. I'll be doing some "hot seat" question and answer sessions just as soon as I've devised soem suitably searching questions.
Hope the sun is shining on you all, happy writing,
Kate
Friday, April 13, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
Sounds good. If you do nothing else until after the wedding, at least jot down ideas as they come, that way they won't be lost and your flow shouldn't be too badly interrupted.
When's the wedding? How exciting. I still love thinking about mine which was nearlt 16 years ago.....God I'm getting old.
IUt sounds like you are one the right track with the writing. Those secondary could be slowing your flow down. It will be interesting to see if things move better once you know them:-)
Thanks for your comments, Zinnia & Liz.
The wedding is 2nd June i.e. we are now into weeks not months!!! I need a device to stretch time to twice it's usual duration in order to fit everything in between now & then ~ anyone got one going spare?
'fraid not, but remember the words that were passed onto my dh by an old pen pal.......enjoy every minute of day and remember that you are joining with the person you love most in the world.....hold onto that last thought as the stresses creep up :-)
Aw, thats a lovely comment, Liz ~ and very timely: as the stresses pile up I occassionally have to take a step back and remind myself what's really important and why we're doing this. If I'm honest, I'm more excited about being married to the man I love than I am about the actual wedding day itself. So many people seem to focus on the wedding and forget that there's a marriage that comes afterwards!
Post a Comment