Second day back at work, and its dreadful. I woke up in the early hours of this morning wracked with worry about how we would ever afford for me to change careers and have a baby, and then I walk straight into a day from hell where it transpires that alongside the mountains of paperwork which accumulated in my absence and was dumped on me yesterday I am discovering many things left partially done (or ignored completely) by colleagues in my absence. This has resulted in a load of old cack for me to sift through, along with a barrage of bitching complaints from customers who haven’t been responded to. I locked myself in the loo and cried for 5 minutes this morning, out of sheer frustration and misery. I am clinging to the very last shred of honeymoon serenity by the skin of my teeth. (and this is a very timely article that appeared on yahoo this morning ~ oh yes, I know it well!)
Speaking of timely, Kate’s gentle reminder about the spirit of the novel race was right on the button for me. Now that the wedding has passed I should have far more time and space for writing. The novel has been sorely neglected over the last few months (I can write a novel anytime, I reasoned, but I’ll only be getting married once) but I’m ready to get back to it. I hope I still want to write it, I am rather worried that it may have evaporated….. Maybe something new will start to glimmer and beg to be written instead, or as well as.
And I’m in the process of updating the novel racer’s list and catching up with you all too.
I’m going to aim for 5000 words a week ~ I know I probably won’t make it every week, but I always tend to aim higher than is entirely realistic. But as part of my new “married woman” outlook I’ll be treating my writing time with the respect it deserves and guarding it with pride.
Our wedding gift list booty gets delivered tonight, however, so I see tonight’s word count being nil whilst we play with coffee makers and duvets and toasters (oh my!)
Tuesday, June 19, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
So glad the wedding went well. So sorry about the work horrors. Focusing on writing time may provide a useful antidote.
Am here on a semi-official visit from the novel racers to say thanks for your support for the race.
Hi Kate. Love the wedding photograph. I know when I went back to work after my honeymoon I hated it. It's the post wedding/honeymoon comedown and it is not nice.
Thanks Zinnia & Helen ~ today at work is not too bad, so far, so fingers crossed...
The psot wedding/honeymoon comedown is not very nice, you're right, Helen. Think I need to bury my head in the writing to get over it all!
Remember to bottle that honeymoon feeling.......there will be may times you will need to take a quick sip and feel all the love and excitement again. I tell you it works a treat :-)
Hi Kate, Lovely wedding pic. I got married 2 years ago and the come down afterwards can be HUGE!!!! Hang in there - unpacking all those fab pressies should help!!!!
Post a Comment